HISTORY OF THE JOURNAL OF LARYNGOLOGY AND OTOLOGY
The Journal of Laryngology and Rhinology first appeared in January 1887 and was edited by Sir Morell Mackenzie and R Norris Wolfenden. The publishers were Messrs J & A Churchill. Although not the first ENT journal, it was the first periodical devoted to nose and throat surgery in the English language.
Otology was added to the title in 1892 and was entrusted to the editorship of James Dundas-Grant who, together with John Macintyre of Glasgow, was now assisting Norris Wolfenden as Morell Mackenzie had retired from the editorship in 1891 and, sadly, died at the early age of 54 in 1892.
Rhinology was removed from the title in 1921 when the journal moved to Edinburgh under the editorship of A Logan Turner and J S Fraser.
In 1920 the ownership of the journal was transferred from the then publishers Messrs Adlard and Sons to a limited liability company formed by members of the specialty and called the Journal of Laryngology and Otology Ltd. Shares in the company continued to be held and transferred by members of the specialty or their descendants until the journal became a registered charity under the title of 'JLO (1984) Limited'.
The Edinburgh phase lasted only eight years and was followed by the 32 year editorship of Walter Howarth of St Thomas' Hospital. He was assisted firstly by Victor Negus and Watkyn-Thomas and later by William Mollison. In 1933 the publication and printing of the journal was transferred from Messrs Oliver and Boyd in Edinburgh to Headley Brothers Ltd in Ashford, Kent who still print the journal although the Royal Society of Medicine Press became the publishers in 2000.
Walter Howarth was succeeded by Sir Geoffrey Bateman, also of St Thomas', who was initially assisted by Lionel Taylor of the Charing Cross Hospital. Following Lionel Taylor's untimely death, John Ballantyne of the Royal Free Hospital became assistant editor and on Sir Geoffrey's retirement in 1978 he succeeded as editor.
The journal then passed into the 'Royal Free' era. John Ballantyne was assisted by David Wright and John Booth and the latter succeeded him as editor in 1987. Neil Weir joined John Booth as assistant editor in the same year and during the ensuing five years the numbers of assistant editors grew. In 1992 Neil Weir became editor. The editorial assistants increased in number and for the first time the journal employed a production editor and a sub-editor. Guy Kenyon became joint editor in 1997.
The monthly journal has always encouraged both national and international authorship and is read throughout the world. It includes articles ranging from reviews and historical articles to original research and case reports. A useful abstracting service, from both the world's ENT English language journals and journals allied to ENT, has been provided since 1921.
Always aiming to be at the forefront of publishing the journal has been on-line since 1998 and with a new more comprehensive website will now be able to electronically process all stages of a paper's progress.
In recent years the journal has been able to support the training of young UK ENT surgeons by means of Travelling Fellowships and Visiting Professorships. Trainees from overseas have also been helped to attend the British Academic Conference in Otolaryngology.
EDITORS of The Journal of Laryngology and Otology
|1887||Sir Morell Mackenzie & R Norris Wolfenden|
|1891||R Norris Wolfenden, John Macintyre & James Dundas-Grant (1892)|
|1899||John Macintyre, James Dundas-Grant, Arthur Sandford & Richard Lake|
|1903||John Macintyre, James Dundas-Grant, Arthur Sandford & William Milligan|
|1921||A Logan Turner & J S Fr|
|1961||(Sir) Geoffrey Bateman|
|1997||Neil Weir & Guy Kenyon|
|2005||Guy Kenyon & Robin Youngs|
|2010||Robin Youngs & Edward Fisher|
SIR MORELL MACKENZIE 1837-1892
The London Hospital 1858 MD 1862
- Born into medical family, the eldest of eight children.
- Originally destined to be a clerk in an insurance company but through the kindness of a relative changed to medicine.
- After qualification spent a year in Europe and visited Czermak in Budapest. He taught Mackenzie the use of the laryngoscope.
- Returning as an enthusiastic laryngologist he founded in 1863 his 'Metropolitan Free Dispensary for Diseases of the Throat and Loss of Voice' which within a few years became the Throat Hospital, Golden Square, which was the first hospital in the world to be devoted exclusively to diseases of the throat.
- 1864 became assistant physician to the London Hospital.
- 1865 published his first book The Use of the Laryngoscope in Diseases of the Throat followed quickly by Neuro-muscular Affections of the Larynx in which he introduced the terms abductors and adductors to describe the groups of muscles opening and closing the glottis.
- 1870 Before the discovery of cocaine (1880) Mackenzie had dextrously operated on 100 laryngeal growths via indirect laryngoscopy. These cases were published in Growths of the Larynx.
- 1880 Published the famous two-volume Diseases of the Throat and Nose.
- 1887 Supported R Norris Wolfenden in the foundation of the monthly Journal of Laryngology and Rhinology.
- 1888 Founded the British Rhino-Laryngological Association (Otology was added in 1895) which later in 1907 amalgamated with the Laryngological Society of London (founded by Felix Semon in 1893) to become the Section of Laryngology of the Royal Society of Medicine.
- 1887/88 At the request of his attending German physicians and, it is thought his wife, the Crown Princess Victoria (daughter of Queen Victoria), the Crown Prince Frederick of Prussia (later the German Emperor Frederick III) was examined by Mackenzie. He was suffering from hoarseness and was believed to have cancer of the larynx. Mackenzie correctly insisted on biopsy but whether the material was insufficient or whether the growth was distorted by repeated cauterization the result was a series of negative biopsies. Mackenzie counselled against surgery but within a few months it became certain that the royal patient had cancer and a palliative tracheostomy was performed. Following the death of his elderly father in March 1888 Frederick III reigned for only 99 days. His death was blamed on Morell Mackenzie but the patient himself held his English doctor in great esteem.
- 1887 Knighted by Queen Victoria for services to medicine and to Emperor Frederick III.
- 1892 A known asthmatic, Sir Morell Mackenzie died prematurely of influenzal pneumonia at the age of 54.
R NORRIS WOLFENDEN (1855-1926)
Cambridge, St Bartholomew's and the London Hospitals.
- 1880 Lecturer in Physiology at the Charing Cross Hospital.
- Physician to the Hospital of Diseases of the Throat, Golden Square where he collaborated closely with Morell Mackenzie and assisted in the care of Crown Prince Frederick.
- 1886-87 Suggested the need for an English language ENT journal to Morell Mackenzie and they jointly founded The Journal of Laryngology and Rhinology. With Mackenzie's support Norris Wolfenden edited the journal and many of the early contributions (particularly on tuberculosis and cancer of the larynx) were written by him.
- 1896 Retired from the Editorial Board and 'being well provided with this world's goods' (quoted from Sir Dundas-Grant's obituary of Wolfenden written in 1926) he retired to initially pursue an interest in marine zoology and later to emigrate to Ontario, Canada where he indulged in fruit growing.
- He always had a great love of music and used to conduct the London Hospital orchestra.